20 On-page SEO Actionable Techniques You Can Use Today.
Below is the highlight of 20 Actionable On-Page SEO techniques you can implement today to rank higher in your chosen page/website posts keyword/phrases.
First when we say SEO what do we mean literally? Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is that thing you will do that will drive your webpages (with the right content) organically to the top of the major search engines like Google
- Over 70% of online searchers click on organic results
- Another 75% don’t bother about the next pages.
- The first 3 Results normally gets 65% of the clicks.
1) Your Site URL:
- Its meant for humans, make it user friendly avoid using signs, numbers in your page/posts url.
- Try using your site target keyword in your page/post url whenever possible.
- Make your url short and simple.
- Don’t change the url of an old page/post, as this will do more damage than good to your SEO.
2) Do Some Research first
- Do your market research first, to find out what is, who is, what works and what works not in your niche.
- Do a competitors research for that particular keyword you want to rank for and find out who and who is
ranking for it, what they did and how to better your art.
- Do your Keyword research for the poll of between two to three keyword you want to target for your post.
3) Your Content
- This is about the Quality of the Quantity and not Quantity.
- Depth and breath of your content: Is it long enough? does it shows mastery of the subject matter? did you spice it up with videos,images and infographics.
- What about the style of your content? does it answer users questions? is it a ‘DIY’ & ‘How to’s styled’?
- Does it reflect your target keywords & LSI in strategic places across the page?.
4) Keyword Research
- Do a proper Keyword research before you start writing.
- Make sure your page/post targeted Keyword appears in the first 100 characters of your page/post.
- Reflect your Keyword/Variant of it in all strategic places within your page/post content from your post title to your header tags and your page images.
- Sprinkle LSI in strategic places across the page and have your keyword in the conclusion part of your post.
5) Your LSl
- LSI Keywords comes naturally in a long well researched posts.
- Should be placed naturally at the right places within your page/post content.
6) Your Page/Post Titles
- Must be unique and reflect what your page/post is all about.
- Must/Should contain your page/post targeted keyword especially at the beginning part of the title.
- Should contain modifies like ‘10 Reasons why’ ‘How to do’ etc.
- Should be specific/descriptive and word count around 60 – 68 including spaces.
- Should contain a variant of your primary keyword.
- for local SEO purposes, infuse your locality eg “Website design agency in Lagos – Web design”
7) Your Page/Post Meta Description tag
- Must be unique across your site different pages/posts and reflect what your page offering is about.
- Must/should contain your page/post targeted keyword.
- Just like the ‘Title tag’ should keep an eye on the word count not exceeding 160.
8) Your <H1> Header Tag
- Shout your targeted keyword by wrapping it inside your page/post <h1> tag
- As a WordPress user, check to be sure that page/post title is actually wrapped inside <H1>. if not, then do needful.
9) Organize your page/post content with other header tags eg <H2> Tag
- Break down/organize your page contents using your <h2> header tags.
- Include your target Keyword in one or two of the <h2> tag.
- Include variety/variants of your target keywords in the remaining <h2> tags of your page/post.
10) Your Post/Page Content images
- Save your images with appropriate/meaningful names spice it up with your page keywords and its variants.
- Make sure you optimize your image for speed/load time by working on their size.
- Make sure you utilize your image “Alt” and “Description attributes.
- if you’re a WordPress user and don’t know how to do all of the above, then use ‘SEO Friendly Images plugin’.
11) Outbound links
- The links your site post/page contents are pointing to is important
- Make sure the sites you’re linking to are sites within your your niche with strong domain authority.
- The above must not be overdone.
12) Internal Links
- From your pages/posts spread links to other related pages/posts.
- In doing so, use your target Keywords/synonymy of it as anchor text.
13) Your HTML and Site Architecture
- Knowing your HTML is an important skill to have for any SEO/Digital Marketing Professional.
- How usable, navigable and accessible is your site?.
- Can your users conveniently move from one point of your site to the other without getting lost?.
- Needless to say that a well designed site with good architecture improves UX and ultimately your ranking.
14) Your Site Page Speed
- Test your site for speed they’re tons of tools you can use for this.
- You can take it abit further, by not just testing your site speed but compare it with your competitors by using tools like whichloadsfaster.zomdir.com
- After testing, fix all identified issues.
15) Mobile Friendliness of your site
- If you’re building your site from ground up, make sure you use mobile-first/responsive design techniques.
- if with WordPress or any other CMS, make sure you use theme’s that are mobile and responsive.
- Still not sure? you can use WordPress ‘wptouch’ plugin to make your site mobile.
- When you’re done, use tools like Google’s new ‘Thinkwithgoogle’ mobile testing tool, to test your site
16) Your Site XHTML and HTML Sitemap
- Creating one is important, as it enables the site engines to understand and index your site pages quickly
- While the XML Sitemap is for robots, the HTML one serves your site human audience, help them to navigate acrossyour site pages quickly especially when they are lost.
17) Schema Up……
18) Deal with issues of duplicate contents
19) Do your re-direction right
20) Identify and fix all crawl errors
By Rutherford Ejimonu
Rutherford Ejimonu is a Frontend Webdeveloper/SEO Specialist and Content Strategist for Doers Technologies.